Monday, March 28, 2016

Time For a Short Rest....

   As Pat and I closed in on our trip back from Houston, the odometer said we'd driven 971 miles when out of the corner of my eye I saw a big  BIG dear dart into my side of the front headlight. One leg flew past as the rest of the dear thugged, clunked, kerplammed against my side of the car. So.....Pat stops to see if there is any damage that makes the car undrivable (I am saying "No! Don't stop. It's drivable...we're 10 minutes from my bed....the bed I hadn't seen for 6 weeks. KEEP DRIVING!").  No...we have to stop. OF COARSE we do, officer!  It was drivable and I called in the report to the sheriff's office....telling them I'd be in the next morning to finish up paperwork. It was past 11 p.m. and Pat and I were both exhausted.  We ended up being so high on adrenaline that we unpacked the whole car that night, then we were in bed by  midnight.
   So, the six weeks of radiation wasn't too bad. I rested about 4-5 days if even for a couple hours. The last 5 days of radiation seemed to be the most taxing on me. I would a lot of those 5 days, have treatment at 8:20 and I was back to our nest and I was back in bed by 9:30 am. I usually slept a couple hours and was good for the rest of the day.  After I rang the bell on day 28 of radiation, we left for Illinois and I made it about an hour before I fell asleep for two hours. Since being home, I haven't napped much but today (Monday after Easter) I was up at 6:00 and back to bed at 9 a.m. and slept until 11:37 a.m.  I have felt pretty good the rest of the day. The radiation oncologist said it would take about a month for my body to start feeling better. I just need to take it easy and rest, eat well, and rest SOME MORE! 
   I had a book signing on Saturday and sold several books and lots of kids who wanted to see the lady that "makes" the Irene book. There are books to buy at Wild Imaginations on Rt. 130 or from any of my girls or me. Our Relay is April 30th this year so we really need to get serious about selling lots of books!
   What's next? I go back on May 9 & 10 for a couple of scans. One is a bone density scan to check for osteoporosis (since I have had 3 separate radiation treatment to areas of my body) and we want to take as good a care of this  body as we can with everything else going on. I will also have bloodwork and a CT scan of my chest and also one of the abdomen to thigh area. Time to see if the zapping that aortocaval lymph node is a success. I truly believe it did and I hopefully can rest easy for a bit. There is something about cholangiocarcinoma that some people never understand. You can get rid of the cancer...have it all removed, and it's back in a year. OR, you can have a transplant and struggle, get better, then the cancer comes back. ME? My doctor says I am chronic at this point. I just refuse to give up. It's not in me. So, we conquer one battle only to see something else come up 6, 9, or 15 months later. My dr always has a plan and it has worked for me. New treatments are coming so fast if, IF I can just hold on.
   In a few weeks, when it warms up just a bit more here in southern Illinois, I plan to walk with my grandchildren down our Suntone driveway. Point out the signs of life. The signs of new hope. That even though God died for all of our sins, He is RISEN and alive in all of us. The "little's" understand way more than you think. We stop at the creek and look for signs of little fish, little frogs, flowers, trees flowering. L.I.F.E.  Don't ever...e.v.e.r. take it for granted. That is what I guess I am trying to instill in these small grandchildren of mine. Appreciate the most simple things in life....sometimes they are the things that cost nothing but opening up the heart and the mind to let the love shine in!
   As I have stated before, life is all about TIME. A time to heal and a time to pray. I pray everyday that it is a time to heal for not only me but for so many family members and friends who are struggling with life right now. I pray daily for the homeless, the poor, the unemployed, the mentally ill, the list is sometimes so long I fall asleep before I say Amen. Sometimes on those oh so very tired nights....I just pray "Lord, please help our entire country!"
   So, as I end this post, I am recovering just fine. I have a new grandson (this blesses me with 7 grandchildren total!) that I would love to cuddle with every day. Until I go back to Houston in 6 weeks, I will rest, play, sleep, and LIVE.

Always Thankful~~
Patty Corcoran

2 comments:

  1. God is good, all the time! May he bless you, your family,your doctor, the rest of your medical team and your fellow cancer survivors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good, all the time! May he bless you, your family,your doctor, the rest of your medical team and your fellow cancer survivors!

    ReplyDelete